This recipe might seem like sambhar rice,but has a different taste.It is a special from Tirunelveli and my favourite as I'm also from Tirunelveli.
- Toor dal-100 gms
- Rice-2 cups
- Tamarind-small lemon size
- Coconut 1/4 cup (grated)
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Red chillies 10
- Red onion 6
- Raw Mango-sliced
- Brinjal (egg plant)
- Drumstick - 1 cut
- Plantain(vazhaikkai) -1
- Water(the usual amount you use to cook rice+1 cup for the vegetables)
- Add grated coconut,cumin seeds,red chillies,red onions to the mixer and make it into a paste.
- Soak tamarind in water and make a paste out of it.
- Now add rice,toor dal,vegetables(cut),turmeric powder,salt,asafoetida,water and the coconut paste into the cooker and add the tamarind paste to it.
- Close the lid and cook for 10 mins
- The rice should not be separate in kootanchoru.
- Serve it with vadagam and pickles.