Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Kootanchoru




This recipe might seem like sambhar rice,but has a different taste.It is a special from Tirunelveli and my favourite as I'm also from Tirunelveli.

Ingredients:

  • Toor dal-100 gms
  • Rice-2 cups
  • Salt
  • Turmeric
  • Asafoetida
  • Tamarind-small lemon size
  • Coconut 1/4 cup (grated)
  • Cumin seeds-1 tsp
  • Red chillies 10
  • Red onion 6
  • Raw Mango-sliced
  • Peas
  • Spinach
  • Carrot
  • Beans
  • Brinjal (egg plant)
  • Potatoes
  • Drumstick - 1 cut
  • Plantain(vazhaikkai) -1
  • Water(the usual amount you use to cook rice+1 cup for the vegetables)

Preparation:


  • Add grated coconut,cumin seeds,red chillies,red onions to the mixer and make it into a paste.
  • Soak tamarind in water and make a paste out of it.
  • Now add rice,toor dal,vegetables(cut),turmeric powder,salt,asafoetida,water and the coconut paste into the cooker and add the tamarind paste to it.
  • Close the lid and cook for 10 mins
  • The rice should not be separate in kootanchoru.
  • Serve it with vadagam and pickles.

5 comments:

shanthi said...

I am really happy to see this recipe ...have been searching for this recipe for a long while as it is my fav too.I like this not only because it is a popular dish from my place but also because it has no oil,rich in protein and has a lot of veg in it and not much masala involved.Keep up the good work.I m going to try it today and will tell the result.

Indu said...

i look delicious....have to try it soon...i had eaten it in my childhood...i dunno the preparation...just came to knew now and it looks as same i had...thanks for posting....

radha said...

I had been searching for this recipe all along!

thanx!

angel said...

Dear Malliga..
I tried out this recipe of urs....it tasted really good.thank u so much yaar.In addition i jus added to it little ghee,corrriander leaf and open coooked the whole thing.Finally(thalikka) in a pan added coconut oil,mustard,curry leaf,dry chilly,jeera.I added this thalicha contents with the kootanchoru.this added lil more flavour..
im very much eager to try ur other recipes too..

Padhu said...

I am happy that I came to your site by chance .You have a lovely space.
Do drop by
http://padhuskitchen.blogspot.com/